As part of her ongoing educational efforts, Debbie Fins will lead two training sessions this summer for geriatric care professionals:
June 27, 2012: Enabling Frail Elders to Stay at Home—Subsidized Services Options
For GCM-New England members only. Attendees will receive contact hours from a case management group. For details, please visit gcmnewengland.org.
When loved ones need extensive care, many families seek help to design alternatives to nursing home placement. Debbie will explain how family care-giving efforts can be supplemented by Massachusetts subsidized programs:
- Overview of subsidized services in Massachusetts, with a focus on home-based care
- How to determine client’s clinical and financial eligibility for subsidies
- Subsidized options for other care settings, such as assisted living and rest homes
- Real world experiences with the rules and programs
- How GCMs can benefit their clients by understanding subsidized programs
July 13, 2012: “Mom Always Liked You Best”: Managing Conflict Among Adult Sibling Caregivers
For Worcester Area Geriatric Social Workers (WAGS). Attendees will receive CEU social work credits. For details, please visit WAGS on LinkedIn
As the parents of baby boomers age and families strive to economize, more and more families are engaged in elder caregiving. While this can provide wonderful opportunities to renew family ties and heal relationships, it also can create many points of conflict over who’s in charge and what’s the best way to care for a loved one. Debbie will lead a session for experienced geriatric socials workers to explore issues and strategies:
- How to recognize and articulate issues that affect sibling caregiving
- Special issues and complications that arise in caregiving by blended families
- Three strategies to help families reduce issues among sibling caregivers
President of Deborah Fins Associates, PC, since 1995, Deborah Liss Fins is a licensed independent clinical social worker and certified geriatric care manager. Drawing on more than 30 years of professional experience in geriatric care management, DFA offers comprehensive assessments and planning, guidance in selecting appropriate care, help identifying resources for financial support and professional consulting. Please contact us to set up a complimentary initial telephone consultation.